9/2/09

Panko Fried Shrimp

It dawned on me today that I haven't cooked a meal since last Thursday. So today I tried a new recipe for fried shrimp. While searching online, I came across a panko fried shrimp recipe on cdkitchen.com. It was perfect as I had all the ingredients on hand.

I modified it slightly and think next time I will coat the shrimp in buffalo sauce before adding the flour, egg and breading. Enjoy!


16 large or jumbo shrimp
Canola oil, for frying
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
Pepper, as desired (I added 1 teaspoon of red pepper to bread crumbs and flour)
2 eggs
2 cups Panko or other Japanese-style dried bread crumbs
Lemon wedges, for garnish
Parsley, for garnish

Rinse and peel fresh shrimp, leaving tails on. Devein. Shake off excess water.
Heat oil in heavy pot or fryer on stove. Oil should be 3-4 inches below the top of the pot, but still deep enough to immerse shrimp. You'll want oil at about 360 degrees to fry shrimp. (Oil should have a slight haze over it but not be smoking.)
Mix together flour, salt and pepper in one shallow bowl. Scramble the eggs in another bowl. Put the bread crumbs in a third bowl.
Dredge shrimp in flour, dip in egg, then in bread crumbs to coat thoroughly. When you have 4-5 breaded, put them in the hot oil.
Let them fry, turning if necessary, until golden brown. Remove with a skimmer or slotted spoon. Put on a wire rack with paper towel underneath it to drain. (You also can blot on paper towel, but a wire rack keeps them crisper.) Fry in batches.
Serve on a platter with wedges of lemon and parsley sprigs.

1 comment:

Bianca C said...

Hey Miss Nika,

I just read your note on my page, you are welcome! You will have to post some pictures of all the goodies!

:-)

~B