10/3/09

My first wedding

Last month, I posted about making a cake for my Toastmasters' presentation. As you may recall, one my co-workers raffled off the cake to raise money for a walk he was participating in. I was later contacted by someone who had seen a picture of the cake. They were interested in having a wedding cake prepared. I was a little hesitant since I have not practiced some of the cake decorating techniques learned during the Wilton series. After speaking with bride, I discovered that she did not want anything traditional. We discussed several options and settled on a cupcake tree. I loved the idea since I had one at my wedding. No cutting, no mess, no fuss. Besides, who doesn't like cupcakes?

While searching the internet, I found out how to make a cupcake stand. It was quite easy and I am pleased with how it turned out. The couple requested a Strawberry cake for them and yellow and white cupcakes for the guests. I've made yellow and white cake before but not strawberry cake. While doing another internet search I came across a semi homemade strawberry cake recipe from Paula Deen. Come on...if Paula is making it, it has to be good.

Each cupcake was adorned with a fondant rose. The cake had several fondant roses as it's topper. Below are a few pictures.

The wedding was today and I really liked how everything turned out. I can't wait to hear back from the couple.

4 comments:

Bianca C said...

Good for you!! The cupcakes look and sound mouthwatering!

You did a great, great job on the cupcake stand. Super cute.

Unknown said...

wow...great job!!!! congrats on your first wedding!

Miss Foodie Fab said...

GO head lady! Love it!

Nika said...

Thank you ladies!