1/19/10

On My Way to …..

Rehab. No, not that kind of rehab…shopping rehab. I've known for quite some time I have a problem with shopping. It doesn't matter what kind of shopping. I simply love to shop. Years ago, while working in downtown Chicago my sister noticed I brought a bag home every day after work. During lunch, I would venture over to State Street or Michigan Avenue for some power shopping. Sometimes it something as small as a pair of socks or a splurge purchase regardless, I purchased something every day. While I am not as bad as I used to be, I still find some reason to purchase something. Please don't let it be on sale then it is completely justifiable. This type of shopping mentality has put a dent in my finances that I seriously need to get in order.

In order to get back on track I decided to go on a financial fast. Basically, during a 21 day period of time I will not be allowed to do any non essential shopping. I started on yesterday and will be joined on this journey by two friends. You know shopaholics travel in packsJ. I will post an update at the end of the fast. If you are interested in completing your own financial fast, you can read more about it here.


3 comments:

RahLa said...

What a great idea. DH and I were on one from October until Christmas and although we aren't on one now, we are super careful about our purchases. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Candace said...

This is such a great idea. My mom is doing this during Lent. Good luck!

Nika said...

Thank you ladies! I will definitely be doing this again.

@Candace, I've convinced one of shopholic friends to do it during Lent also. I may join her.